Established on the belief that "an educated Liberian makes the best Liberia", Educate Liberia Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of disadvantaged children in post war Liberia by providing educational sponsorships to children who do not have the financial means of going to school.
Educate Liberia Foundation strongly believes that when children are educated, they are empowered to utilize their full potentials by becoming productive to society. By providing educational opportunities for Liberian children, we are helping the reconstruction process of a country coming out of 14 years of civil war.
For the past 9 years, members of Educate Liberia Foundation have been working quietly behind the scenes by providing scholarships to children in Liberia and supporting institutions of learning to achieve a better standard of education by providing lacking teaching aids . It is our hope that you share our excitement and vision. With your continued compassion and generosity, we can succeed in this life-changing work.
On behalf of the Children of Liberia
Goals and Objectives
In the pursuit of our goals, Educate Liberia Foundation is strongly committed to the following:
- Developing informative and communicative strategies that stress the importance of education for national reconstruction in post war Liberia.
- Generating funds through solicitation from donors to help provide educational scholarships for Liberian children victimized by the war (orphans, child soldiers).
- Helping to provide educational grants to help broaden teaching and learning capabilities.
- Raising community awareness and support to improve the quality of education in Liberia (comparative to modern standards) because “a little learning is a dangerous thing. ”
- Helping to renovate damaged educational infrastructures such as libraries, science labs, gymnasiums, recreational park, and etc.
Liberia has one of the highest illiteracy rates in the world. Illiteracy rate is about 80%. With an estimated population of 3 million, this means that 4 out of 5 person cannot read or write.
The cost of education is still relatively chelp in Liberia. Based on recent research and studies, the cost of full tuition in most high schools is about $100 which averages out to be $9 per month. However due the 85% unemployment rate in Liberia, most parents or families cannot afford to send their children to school as the average Liberian family earns less than $1 US a day.
Please visit our donations page to learn more on how you can help.